How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33734
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked local Doctor as an office nurse years but last few

Customer Question

I worked for a local Doctor as an office nurse for 28 years but for the last few years haveny been paid for the office cleaning services I provided and als he is in arrears for paying my health insurance which he had been paying. Both former checks came from his private checking account! No W4 was filed! I sent certified mail to him stating what he owed.. It was returned unopened. I have since retired and he promised me I would be paid what was owed! Now he's refusing to communicate with me! Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

You can file a complaint with the Department of Labor for your state, which is the place to start, or you could hire a lawyer to pursue the matter through the courts. If you hire a lawyer then you will have to pay them either a fee or a % of what they recover and it will likely take longer than it would if go directly to the Department of Labor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that my only alternative is to hire a lawyer since I have communicated with the state board and they require a w4. What type of lawyer do I need and can you refer someone. What is a normal fe and or what percentage do they take ?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If the Department of Labor won't pursue it then the only choice you have is to hire a lawyer.

We're not allowed to give specific referrals but you can find someone at and under area of practice enter Employment Law.

The fees vary but as far as a % it will usually be between 33 1/3 and 40% if you can find someone who will take the case on a % basis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean I have to get forms from small claims court in the town where the doctor resides or the town where he works?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you are going to choose to pursue the lawyer yourself through small claims court, as opposed to pursuing him through the Department of Labor or the higher court systems, then you can sue him either in the town where you worked or the town where he resides, both should have jurisdiction and venue.