How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33380
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a home with my grandson-in-law. Now he is trying

Customer Question

I purchased a home with my grandson-in-law. Now he is trying to kick me out. He has paid the mortgage payments and utilities. In exchange, I have kept his 2 children at no cost to him as he and his wife does not want to put them in daycare. I keep them 11-12 hours a day. He says he owns more than half the house since he pays the bills. He stated that since he is majority owner, he has the right to ask me to leave. The $150 a week he was going to pay me for taking care of the children, I told him to keep as my part of the payment and utilities. My name is ***** ***** title and the mortgage. Can he evict me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

No, he can't evict you. If both of your names are ***** ***** deed then you are likely what is known as "joint tenants in common" and each have an equal right to use the property so neither of you can "kick the other one out".

He can file to partition the property through the courts. This means that either you buy him out or he buys you out or, if neither of your can do that, then the property will be ordered sold and the money divided based on whatever percentage the court decides you each own.

Related Legal Questions