How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An old boss that I have had words with through a few emails

Customer Question

An old boss that I have had words with through a few emails over a couple years has files a restraining order that is weak. The sherriff who served me said I really did not have to go this is california. Why would a sherriff give this advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea why the sheriff would give that advice. It is terrible advice from anyone.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

A restraining order against you is a very significant issue (it prohibits you from owning firearms, it shows up on background checks, it will appear in future court proceedings (even if you don't anticipate any now)).

If it is a weak application, show up and defend yourself, and defeat the petition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never threatened harm I just made it very clear how his action made my life very hard. His exhbits presented are 3 emails and reference to texting but does not have the actual texts
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The California Courts give some good basic information on how to deal with these matters:

The basic principle is that the applicant must show an actual threat of physical harm posed by the respondent. If the applicant cannot show this, they cannot prevail in getting their restraining order. See:

For more exact help in formatting your response (beyond what is offered by the Court's general guidance), please visit your local law library.