Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

We are married in California and my husband owned s business

Customer Question
We are married in California...
We are married in California and my husband owned his business before we got married. It was worth 5mil and we have been married 22 years. how much of the business is mine?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/29/2015
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

As the spouse, you should be entitled to the appreciation/increase in value of the property during the marriage. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.thurmanarnold.com/Family-Law-Blog/2012/March/How-Are-BUSINESSES-Owned-Before-Marriage-DIVIDED.aspx

Thus, you'd have an equitable interest and he'd owe you your portion of the business' increased value that occurred during the marriage. You'll likely need an accounting/appraisal to determine that amount....but you should be entitled to receive your interest.

Roger, Attorney