Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Got a debt collection notice from capio who received the

Customer Question

got a debt collection notice from capio who received the bill from my hospital of unpaid charges. I read that i can negotiate with capio by paying 50% of the charge. Advice? The charges were from March 2015.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Once a bill goes to a debt collector, it is up to them what they accept in most cases. However, most of these debt collectors will settle for less if you can convince them you cannot afford to pay and offer to pay them lump sum. So, in order to do so you need to start by expressing to them your dire financial circumstances that are preventing you from paying. Then you need to offer them lump sum payment at 20% and work your way up with them in negotiations. Most times, this company will agree to settle at 50%-70% of what is due, depending on the amount of the debt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Does a medical bill going to a debt collector negatively affect my credit? Do they report any information to the debt collector?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, right now they can report it to credit bureaus, although most do not do so, the law has not yet been passed that prevents medical debt from being reported. So they could report if they choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll get a written agreed-upon amount so *if* they report it to the credit bureaus, I will have some leverage in getting it removed. Good to do?

Thank you for your reply.

That is correct, they would give you a written agreement to settle the debt. If you get a written agreement, which they will give you, then you could dispute the debt with the credit bureaus, but they can report the debt as "settled for less than full amount" and that could remain on your report.