How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 80 year old Mother to evict my sister and here family

Customer Question

my 80 year old Mother to evict my sister and here family from her home. I want to help her with this but she is on a fixed income and can't pay for a lawyer. what steps should she take here in the state of Oregon?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Mother has not received and money for Rent....and now can't make her mortgage payment. My sister will not leave without some sort of legal action......what next?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If there is no rental agreement or lease in place right now between your mother and your sister, then your mother can simply ask her to leave. She may want to give her 5 business days to be gone and can even make this request known in writing if she so chooses. If the sister does not leave, then your mother can have your county sheriff's office remove them from the premises.

If there is a lease, and payment has not been made, she need only give 72 hours written notice to either pay up on rent or leave. If they do not leave, then the sheriff can remove them.

If there is a lease and there is some other breach, like damage to property, then you must give 30 days written notice to get out of the premises.

In the present case, I assume there is no lease. I recommend a written letter telling them they have 5 days (a reasonable amount of time) to get out or the law will be called. If they do not leave, then call the sheriff.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.


Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in on you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward with this important issue. Thanks