How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117420
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

See previous questions!

Customer Question

See previous questions!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...what does that mean...your account shows no prior questions...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am involved in a case where I am the ward and my sister is the Conservator. We are in the process of dissolving this relationship and her lawyer has given me signed court papers stating this. The problem is her lawyer's letter also states that I am to sign a letter of receipt and return to her once I have received all of my assets. I have one asset that is not in my name yet, so I'm not signing it. Now they contend that an insurance company is going to re-charge for a bond the middle of this month if this matter isn't resolved. I've paid the Conservatorship and her lawyer's fees since day one through my accounts. The final accounting has been approved and accepted.So, my question is - who is responsible for this? Who is liable to pay any additional fees and costs? I didn't get a rule book through all of this, so how can it be me? Thanks, Milt.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The person liable for the costs would be the person causing the hold up of returning the piece of property to you that you have not yet received. So if that is the conservator, then they would be liable for renewing the bond if they do not promptly transfer the asset back to you.

You need to send a letter to the attorney telling them you would be glad to sign as soon as possible to avoid the bond having to be renewed, but it is on the conservator who is not transferring the asset and it is their liability for the bond renewing if they do not turn over that asset in a timely manner. Tell the attorney he needs to contact your sister and make sure that asset is transferred back to you before the bond renews and you will gladly sign everything you need to sign and if your sister does not do so then the renewal of the bond is her fault and she bears the liability for any additional fees and costs associated with this.