Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was incarcerated in 2008 and my vehicle was forfeited. My

Customer Question
tags were never turned in...
I was incarcerated in 2008 and my vehicle was forfeited. My tags were never turned in and I'm being held liable. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2015
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Who is holding Eulaya for? Also, did you explain the situation? Finally, when you say that your car was forfeited, does that mean it was just taken from you, tags and all?

I was sent a letter of forfeiture while I was incarcerated but lost the paperwork in transit and my federal attorney couldn't provide me with the letter of forfeiture cause she couldnt find it in the archives

Hello again.

I apologize for any confusion in my prior response. I was using dictation and it apparently messed up my first sentence. I intended to ask who is holding you liable, and did you explain the situation to them? If so, what did they say?

Pardon me, dept. Of motor vehicles is saying I owe over $4000 cause my tags were never turned In and I don't have my forfeiture letter to prove my car was forfeited. Initially dmv just wanted proof of my incarceration but when I went there with the proof they then asked for a forfeiture letter which I don't have and its been 7 years since my arrest.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi again.

The federal case should have a copy of the letter or other proof that indicates that your car was forfeited. Accordingly, you should be able to find what you need via PACER.

Have you tried that?

I already tried my attorney but she couldnt find it in here archives. What is pacer?

Hi again.

PACER stands for Public Access to Court Electronic Records. It is the Federal database that has every Federal case file in the past 15 years (give or take). It can be accessed online:

https://www.pacer.gov/

Thank you.

You are quite welcome. Thank you for using our service, and please remember to provide positive feedback.

I just went on the website but don't know how to look up my case

Hi again.

You must register. Did you do that?

https://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/pscof/registration.jsf

Nah I didn't

Hi again. I hope you were able to get into PACER.

Please let me know if you need anything else, and presser remember to provide feedback for me. Thanks.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney