How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died in June this year. We've been astranged 13

Customer Question

My father died in June this year. We've been astranged for about 13 yrs. He worked his whole life as s motorman in NYC. I believe that I am entitled to receive some of the death benefits from them as well as any veterans benefits that exist. I am pretty sure I was not mentioned in his will,however he also has two other astranged daughters that will be digging into their rights also. I have three of his grandchildren and I have had to ask my mother to help me raise them as their father abandoned us years ago. You should also know that I do not get along with his other two daughters. I WILL fight as hard as I have to to receive what I deserve. He never paid child support from the day he left my mother and me when I was three. He also served in Vietnam in the army. I need to find a lawyer who will take my case and only collect payment if we win. Like I said, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have nothing. How can you help me,please. Sincerely, *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While we cannot represent customers on this site, or provide specific referrals, I can give you some resources to help you find probate attorneys that can represent you in this matter and hopefully assist you in litigating any disputes that may arise in this matter.

(You say that he passed away in June, that would mean that you will likely want to retain an attorney quickly - many of these types of estate matters devolve very rapidly).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Again, you are looking for a probate attorney (these are the attorneys that specialize in either disbursing or disputing estate distributions).