How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need help writing a brief to Set Aside Default Judgement due

Customer Question

Need help writing a brief for Motion to Set Aside Default Judgement due to not getting served
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer,

While we cannot draft your motion for you here (we can only offer "general legal information" we cannot practice law), I can point you in the direction of some helpful resources to get you started.

The Sacramento Law Library has a helpful publication/template for a Motion to Vacate:

Their motion is based on the defendant's failure to file a response (as opposed to the plaintiff's failure to serve), but the same format, and same general principles apply. The only difference is going to be the legal basis for the motion is different (improper or fraudulent service), and the fact pattern will support that.

You can also visit your local law library - look specifically for a civil procedure practice guide (I recommend the "Rutter Guide, Civil Procedure Before Trial" in particular), as many of these guides have not only legal strategies, commonly used authorities, but will also have additional templates for motions and pleading papers to assist you.