How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What options can psychiatrist use to verify their work and

Customer Question

What options can psychiatrist use to verify their work and diagnosis of a patient treated over 10 years. Social Security is asking the paychiatrist for record verification to process Social Security benefiits for my daughter (Mentally ill ) Her Father is decease. (2013). Please help us!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Why can't the doctor use the records?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor does not have any records in that it has been over 15 years since my daughter was treated by the doctor. They keep records for only 10 years.
Please help! I stated in my first message about the 10 + years. Please answer!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I still don't see that part of your original message, but that's okay.

Your doctor can recreate the records based on his memory for Social Security. While I've never had to do it for records that go that far back, I have had to have doctors do recreations for records that were lost, etc. and it's permissible so long as the doctor makes it clear that they have been recreated from the best of their memory.

In addition, you can also call the doctor to testify live at the hearing if you have one. Many doctors are willing to do that and it usually helps obtain a favorable rating. If you are using a lawyer to help with the social security you can also do a deposition, but without a lawyer it is extremely hard to get a deposition done correctly because they are technical.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I appreciate the answer (recreate records from the best of memory and deposition).
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You should be okay doing that. It isn't an unusual circumstance.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.