Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I'm looking lawyer I think in real estate. My mom lended

Customer Question

I'm looking for a lawyer I think in real estate. My mom lended about 1,000,000 dollars to this 2 investors and they took advantage of her, they were supposed to be paying her interest every 90 days and its been a year and no payment. I would like to know if we can freeze their accounts or something so it can be investigated my mom is 70 years was taken advantage.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

In a situation like this, if the borrowers haven't made the agreed on payments, then they are in breach of contract and mother would have grounds to file suit against them seeking a judgment for any damages and the return of her money. But she wouldn't be able to freeze or levy on their accounts until she was able to get a judgment against them for the debt.

.

Another option would be to contact the state Attorney General's office and see if they could potentially file a case against the borrowers for "elder financial abuse". This can result in criminal charges against the borrowers if mother was in a vulnerable position and was taken in by the borrowers stories about good investment returns and they had no intention of honoring the agreement.

.

But in either case, she will need an attorney, either a real estate or contract law attorney to pursue any civil claim against the borrowers. The attorney can also reach out to the AG's office to see if he can put additional pressure on them to repay mother with that threat of criminal action.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we hire someone from your office. My mom all she has is a paper call a promissory note. And a bunch of nice amount of money she suppose to get paid. To me that's nothing.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer is not a law firm and the attorneys who are on the site are just independent contractors who provide legal information to customers. We aren't allowed to represent customers from the site under our agreement with JustAnswer so you would need to contact a local attorney where mother lives in order to obtain legal representation for her so she can pursue these people who have taken advantage of her..

.

.

thanks