How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cable company contacted me and offered me to pay off dish

Customer Question

My cable company contacted me and offered me to pay off dish network and give me a monthly bill of $102.68 which was cheaper than my current bill. I agreed to the terms and conditions they were offering. I fell ill which caused me to miss work for a while. I got 2 months behind on my bill and contacted charter to make payment arrangements. I was informed I could pay $87.02 to avoid service interrruption and we would be squared away until July 28th 2015 which i would pay $120.98 which was the remaining balance. On July 24th 2015 $434.54 was withdrawn from my account causing the account to go into overdraft. These monies were withdrawn 3 days earlier than agreed payment date. I have been charged overdraft fees and the monies for other obligations had been taken unauthorized by charter communications. There is no possible way I owed this company this outrageous amount. Even combining the 2 months I was behind with late charges these totals do not add up at all. My account is still currently overdrawn and has been frozen. I received a new bill in the mail for the amount of $102.68 to be paid by 9-27-15. They seem to have no answers for me when I call as to where the $434.54 was applied or even what it was for. This has really hurt me as I have other financial obligations and they have taken all the money and caused me extra financial strain due to overdraft fees on more than one occasion. I would appreciate any help to get this matter resolved as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.


If they will not work with you voluntarily then you will need to sue them in small claims court or the next higher court in your jurisdiction for a court order that says they must remove that $434.54 from your bill and pay you for any related damages. This can be done by filing what is known as a declaratory judgment action {DJA} .

The law for that is here. The other option is to not pay the bill and send them letters in writing to dispute the amount. They may then send to a collection agency at which time you can again requet proof of the bill and dispute. If they hit your credit, you can file a dispute with the credit bureau and they must investigate the validity of the bill. If they sue you for it, then you can force them to prove that you owe it and countersue them for the damages that you have incurred.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.