How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is latavia and I am having problems with my

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am having problems with my aunt has power of attorney over her but she's not doing what shes suppose to. My grandmother is not capable of making sound decision for herself, and she is taking advantage of it .she's on a lot of medication that requires her not to drink alcohol,but she's giving it to her anyways and the house that they stay is not safe or suitable for her to live .she has my grandmother, her and her husband, and my cousin and her husband plus four kids staying in a three bedroom trailer . she has islilated her from people,any one that can go and check to make sure she ok is not aloud over I'm so lost to what I need to do can you please give me some type of advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. It sounds like the family may consider adult guardianship for her. As her guardian, you will be able to override her decisions, make decisions for her, and get her the help she needs. It would be as though she was a minor. You'd file a petition with the court, serve all interested parties, and have a hearing. She would be called the "ward."

The Court will appoint a person in the best interest of the ward. The person filing for this guardianship has to serve her, all immediate relatives, husband included, and they can not become involved, or reply and support or not support the petition, and possibly introduce another candidate for guardianship such as themselves. The judge makes the final decision.

See HERE for more.

An attorney is recommended, but not mandatory.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!