How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28371
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a car from an individual. I lost the title and

Customer Question

I purchased a car from an individual. I lost the title and bill of sale and he keeps saying he will meet up to give me the paperwork but he never shows. What do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. If this vehicle was sold and transferred, what do you need this persons help for?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didnt get a chance to put it in my name before I lost the title and bill of sale.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He bought the car from an auction but didn't apply for the title. As soon as he bought it from the auction he sold it to me.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. You are going to need his cooperation and if he never shows to meet you, you may want to see if he can do it online and have it mailed to you, to make it easier. He can likely do this online through the MVA's website at Duplicate titles ordered online may be mailed to an alternate address at the owner's request, except company owned vehicles. The mailing instructions are provided in the online application. If he refuses to do this and/or cooperate and meet you, then you would have to take him to court, so it can essentially be forced and ordered by the Judge, since you did buy it from him and a condition to the sale was making sure title got transferred to your name so you are the legal owner. You want the proper chain of title and if it was never done, would still likely be in the previous owners name if he never applied for title and it was never placed in your name,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I cannot get in touch with him
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

To get title, you normally need the following:

To title and register your newly purchased used vehicle, you will need to submit the following documents (along with payment for taxes and fees):

  • Proof of ownership - You must submit the vehicle's current title that has been properly assigned to you. Note that if the title was issued in Maryland, it can be used as your application form for titling and registering the vehicle. A registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership ONLY if the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership.
  • Application form - If the vehicle's current title was issued in Maryland, use it as your application form by completing the section entitled Application for Title and Registration. If not, use theApplication for Certificate of Title (form #VR-005). Be sure to include your insurance information. Your policy must conform to Maryland's minimum liability insurance requirements.
  • Proof of purchase price - This should be a bill of sale signed by both the buyer(s) and seller(s). The bill of sale must be notarized if the following conditions apply:
    • the vehicle is less than 7 years old; and
    • the purchase price is at least $500 below the book value; and
    • the new owner (buyer) wants to base the excise tax calculation (6% of the vehicle's value) on the sale price rather than the book value.
  • Odometer disclosure statement - If the vehicle has a Maryland title or an out-of-state title, the odometer reading can be recorded and attested to in the section entitled Assignment of Ownership. You also can submit the MVA's Odometer Disclosure Statement (form #VR-197).
  • Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate - The Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards. It is valid for up to 90 days from the date issued.

Now, if you can not get in touch with him, then you need to go in person and speak with them, showing what documents you have to show you legally purchased the vehicle, own it and that it was reviously bought at auction but never titled and you have a seller who you can not find and see if they can do anything or if you need a court order

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!