How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do you do when you have a 3 day vacate and notice of

Customer Question

what do you do when you have a 3 day vacate and notice of denial and your boyfriend owns his own home and has lived in the park for over 15 yrs.i am disable and have a service dog.and did everything we were asked to do.after we made a big stink over my dog.i have lived with my boyfriend for over 60 days. i filled out their app. and then was denied.and had 3 days to get out and my boyfriend has 20 days if i do not leave.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Mobile parks falls under the Fair Housing Act. Fair Housing Act disallows discrimination based on assistance animals.

"Assistance animals" include support animals. Disabilities are defined in the law as mental or physical impairments that substantially limit one or more major life activities. Major life activities include sleeping, eating, bathing, walking, and working. Proof of this may be requested from the person by the HOA or landlord.

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development issued a memorandum that can be found HERE. the memo, an "assistance animal" need not be specifically trained to perform work or specific tasks.

If the denial is ONLY because of the service dog, then this may be unlawful.

The next step may be to send a letter to the landlord, explaining that denial simply due to the service dog is unlawful under the Fair Housing Act, and a complaint with the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HERE) unless they agree to work with you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks! If you have all the information you needed, please do not forget to rate positively. Thanks!