How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in and did some contract work, remotely, company in

Customer Question

Hi. I live in Virginia and did some contract work, remotely, for a company in Boston.I worked diligently and submitted detailed daily work logs with my invoices.
The contract was terminated in July. They then tried once to force me to sign a release document before paying me owed money from hours worked per the contract, from June. After some emails they paid that money. There are 6 days of work in July I am owed. It is beyond the 15 day pay terms. They want me to sign another release before paying me. They go on in their emails about this and that on a personal and emotional level. I have kept my emails professional and courteous.
Nothing in the original contract allows them to withhold money owed. I want to sue for the money owed (around $3000) plus all court costs and any other damages that might apply here. I have bills to pay and the money is late. What are my best options? Need to move on this asap.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What someone in your situation may wish to do is to sue in small claim court. See HERE. Even though they may be in another state if they contracted with a person from VA, then VA holds jurisdiction under Va. Code Ann. § 8.01-328.1, arguably. This makes it impractical for the Defendant to show up in VA, and possibly may actually help to push them into a settlement.

Once there is a judgment, then the judgment may be domesticated in Massachusetts for enforcement such as attachment of non-exempt business assets towards the judgment. Legal/attorney fees are often also included in the Court's rulings.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!