How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118297
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Pennsylvania a state with State Liquor stores

Customer Question

Hello. I live in Pennsylvania a state with State Liquor stores instead of independent. I have no legal issues now or in the past especially with alcohol (no DUIs, etc...). Due to health issues (pancreatitis) certain family members signed and notarized a letter to the State Stores asking them not to serve me. I am now, as a 45 year old male, refused service at these stores. Legally I am not supposed to go to other states and bring alcohol in to PA, so in essence I am unable to buy liquor. Again, there are no legal issues. Is this legal? If so would hiring a lawyer to dispute this in front of a judge be any help? Thank you in advance for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no civil right to purchase alcohol and in order to have a lawsuit you would need to prove some legal right being infringed upon. Actually, you can legally leave the state of PA and purchase alcohol for personal consumption and bring it back into the state. You just cannot purchase large quantities at one time, only enough for personal use. So you could go to another state to make a purchase as long as you are only bringing back small amounts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no recourse? That seems odd that signatures can stop someone from participating in a legal purchase.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It is no different than someone with a gambling problem being removed from a casino I am afraid. If there no civil right involved, there is little recourse.