How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Lykken, Esq Your Own Question
Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 103
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Michael Lykken, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the legal term when you need the court to look at a

Customer Question

What is the legal term when you need the court to look at a matter on a case by case base? So it might not follow the typical rules, but because of the special situation, you might want them to look at it on an individual basis. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

The courts decide each case on an individual basis, but they do use precedential court decisions in determining the appropriate resolution of the case. If there is a case that is relevant to your matter, but it doesn't support you, then you want to differentiate it from your case. This means you would argue that Case ABC v. DEF is not relevant to your matter because of reasons X, Y and Z. I believe that is the word you are looking for. If not, perhaps you could give me more guidance and I could provide you with it. Incidentally, if you are looking for judicial sayings, or maxims, they are located in California Civil Code Sections 3509-3548.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay - I have been traveling and just gotten back to the states!

I mean for example, you usually have to sue someone out of the state in his state. But you want to argue why you can sue him in your state because of the special situation that feel you can sue him in your state instead. And what is the law term for this?


Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome back! The term you are thinking of is jurisdiction, and more particularly long-arm jurisdiction. That just means that the court can reach beyond the borders of the state and include litigants from out-of-state. California's long-arm statute is located here: