How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118082
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In short I am currently separated from my husband we own a

Customer Question

In short I am currently separated from my husband we own a business together I did not want to quit my job or leave the company he just made it impossible for me to be in the office and was forced to leave and now I feel like he's trying to buy me out or kick me out of my business I have not attended any minute meetings in the last year because he has made it so in bearable for me to be anywhere near him we can't be in the same room without arguing ido not want to sign anything in the minute meetings because I feel he's trying to push me out can he do this There are different wording on the minute meeting sheets now that I've never seen anything saying that shareholders not present? and one even reading that they had written consent from me which they didn't just very confused and now there are two places to sign on the minute meetings sheets that say unanimously underwritten and approved which I've never seen or had to sign that before
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you walked out of the business and you have not returned since and did not give them the right to carry on business, they cannot just carry on alone unless the bylaws or operating agreement say they can. They cannot lie or submit false information in the minutes or corporate records and you should not sign any false information.

If there is an issue running the corporation and you are not able to participate, then this is something you can address as a shareholder derivative suit against your ex by the company and you need an attorney to bring that suit, for him acting for the company without proper consent of the shareholders and you can void any decisions that were made AND the court would order some process in place for the business to continue despite the fact a divorce is in progress.