How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had someone at my school spreading rumors I was selling an

Customer Question

Hi Sam. I had someone at my school spreading rumors I was selling an specific prescription drug at school, and I was getting them because she was having an affair with my Dr.
The rumours are 100 percent false, I can easily prove it by going back on my health insurance files, they have everything there, also I can get all the history from all my Dr's and from my pharmacy.
This entire situation is taking a toll on my physical and emotional health. I'm clinic depressed because my name, reputation at work and carecter got so damaged I don't want to leave the house because I don't want people thinking a sell drugs.
I want to clear my name, and I was wondering if there is chance of me winning if I take this to court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

1. What state are you located in?

2. How long has this been going on?

3. What is the amount of your medical bills related to your depression?

4. Where you diagnosed with depression any time before the rumors started?

5. Did you lose wages because of these rumors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in California
- almost 6 months
- about 1/2 of my bill is due to mental health
- yes I was diagnosed with a minor depression/mood swings before. But nothing like being put on 5 different medications
- Since I graduated from school I wasn't able to start working because I'm so embarrassed and it makes me very sad that reputation went under the bus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost wages because I cant work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my levels of stress is so high I have psoriasis on my elbow and I have constant migraine headaches
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

okay, so you can file a suit under a claim of defamation. To prove such a claim in CA, you must prove the following elements: 1) that the this person made a publication of a statement of fact that is false; (2) which has a natural tendency to injure another; (3) that the defendant's fault in publishing the statement amounted to at least negligence [in you case it sounds more purposeful].

I want to clear my name, and I was wondering if there is chance of me winning if I take this to court?

ANS: Based on the facts that you have asserted about this it appears to me that your claim meets this test; so yes there appears to be a good chance that you can win from a substantive stand point. You may still need a lawyer to assist you to make sure you do not lose on a procedural technicality. If you plan on hiring a lawyer they may take this type of tort claim on a contingency basis and you should look for a lawyer that practices defamation law. JA rules do not permit experts to make referrals.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.