How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my house is only in my wife's name can the United States

Customer Question

If my house is only in my wife's name can the United States Federal Government confiscate my wife's house because I, the husband, was (is) growing marijuana on the property ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Does she know you are growing marijuana there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe she does but has not witnessed it.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

That is an important question. If she's not aware, then she's an "innocent owner," and the government cannot take the property of an innocent owner. Similarly, if you were renting the house and the landlord didn't know you were growing marijuana, then they couldn't take the house. However, if the government can prove that she was aware and living there, then she's no longer an innocent owner and they could take the house.