Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My wife & I moved here from Florida 6 days ago. A section in

Customer Question
our HUD-1 shows that we...
My wife & I moved here from Florida 6 days ago. A section in our HUD-1 shows that we are paying taxes presently on two (2) residences which we own (Florida on a not-as-yet sold home and the one we very recently purchased). When we sell our Florida home,it is on the for-sale market, which taxing authority do we approach to have our taxes reduced and pay on the one which we currently occupy as primary and only occupied residence? Many thanks for your assistance,
XXXX P. XX XXXXX, X.X.
XXXX XXXX Trail
XXXXXXXXX, SC XXXXX
(XXX) XXX-XXXX ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2015
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.Here are the homeowner exemption forms you need to file with the county deed records.

There are also other ones you may qualify for , over 65 and disabilities..

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/taxpayers/exemptions.html

In Florida there are numerous financial benefits to having a homestead exemption on your property. On the most basic level, the homestead exemption itself entitles most homeowners to a deduction of $25,000 off of their property’s assessed value, which can result in several hundred dollars in tax savings.

If your home is worth at least $75,000, you will receive an additional $25,000 deduction from your assessed value, although that additional deduction will not apply to school tax levies. Once you establish your right to a basic homestead exemption on your property, you may also qualify for additional homestead exemptions if you are over 65 years old or have a disability.

The receipt of a homestead exemption means that, pursuant to the Save Our Homes Amendment to the Florida Constitution, the assessed value of your homestead property cannot increase more than 3% per year or the percent change in the Consumer Price Index. Moreover, in many cases, this tax savings can now be transferred to a new Florida residence if you move.
Here in Florida while the basic homestead exemption may only save you a few hundred dollars per year, the rights that come with a homestead exemption can be extremely valuable.

Your homestead also also unlimited protection against creditors one of the most liberal in the US.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

I am sorry I reread your question and you moved to SC, give me a minute to get those for you.Sorry for the confusion.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

The SCDOR Exempt Property section determines if any property (real or personal) qualifies for exemption from local property taxes in accordance with the Constitution and general laws of South Carolina. Most property tax exemptions are found in SC Code Section 12-37-220. Once the applicant has completed PT-401 Application for Exemption, SCDOR examines the exemption application and notifies the applicant of the decision. The SCDOR will inform the appropriate local county official of the approved exemptions annually. Exemptions are strictly construed in South Carolina. When determining if the individual/organization qualifies for an exemption from property taxes, all requirements of the statute must be met. An organization that has been granted an exemption from the IRS as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization does not necessarily qualify for an exemption from South Carolina property taxes. Each individual or organization must fall squarely within the guidelines set forth by law.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Contact information here.

South Carolina Department of Revenue
Exempt Property Section

P.O. Box 125
Columbia, SC###-##-####br />
Phone: ***-***-****
Email: ***@******.***

Thanks for your patience here and giving me a chance to clarify this, please let me know if you have more follow up.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

The Homestead Exemption Program is a State funded program authorized under Section 12-37-250 of the South Carolina Code of Laws. The program exempts the first $50,000 fair market value of primary residence from all property taxes. If the primary residence is valued at $50,000 or less, it is exempt from all property taxes.

This is your basic Homestead exemption for SC..

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Requirements for both..

How do I qualify?

1. I hold complete fee simple title or life estate to my primary residence.
  2. As of December 31, preceding the tax year of the exemption, was a legal resident of South Carolina for one year.
  3. As of December 31, preceding the tax year of the exemption, I
  • was 65 years of age, or
  • was declared totally and permanently disabled by a state or federal agency having the authority to make such a declaration, or
  • was legally blind as certified by a licensed opthamologist.

If statements 1, 2, and 3 are true, you are qualified to receive the Homestead Exemption. If you are the surviving spouse of a person who was qualified, you may also be qualified to receive the benefit.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Please if you have more follow up just ask, it is never a problem thanks again..BB

Ray, Lawyer