Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I believe someone (actually I suspect a specific person)

Customer Question
opened two email accounts using...
I believe someone (actually I suspect a specific person) opened two email accounts using my name. I've suspected this for a long time but I'm just starting to have an idea as to the possible motive. I have an extremely unusual name. No one else in the world has my same combination of first and last name and that's what's being used in these accounts.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2015
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

What is your question?

I want to know if this is actionable if I can prove that someone has set up email accounts in my name in order to write emails they claim are from me. My real name, not the name of the email I've submitted, here is very unusual. Also, I left the US in 2006 and have not been back. If two email accounts can be traced to the US then I can prove that I was not the one to set them up. Is it a crime for someone to do this? Is it actionable if not criminal?

Thank you for the information.

Merely using a name that is similar to yours is not actionable because different people can have exactly the same name. However, if you have concrete evidence that this person is impersonating you, then you can file criminal complaint against the person with the District AttorneyOffice of the County in the State where the person lives. You may also pursue civil action against the person if you have suffered damages as a result of this impersonation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law