How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41638
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is regarding Elder Care Law. My father of 89 yrs

Customer Question

My question is regarding Elder Care Law. My father of 89 yrs fell and broke his hip. He was operated at Morristown Hospital with no incident and returned to his Retirement Home for rehabilitation. While in rehab he became violent. The facility sent him to Morristown ER for an assessment and we find out he will be transferred to Bergen Regional Hospital which is a psychiatric hospital. All along the family has tried to visit and we have been told that he is irritated and you should not come to visit him.
We do not know the diagnosis, the process for transferring and rights they have to make the decisions without the family's consent. My sister and I have the power of attorney for both parents and are in the dark of what our rights are. Can you help guide us?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

I am so sorry for your situation here with your father.If you have a POA here you can contact the hospital here and they will likely want a faxed copy of the POA to talk to you.HIPAA requires such documentation for them to talk to you about his condition.Once they have his it should not be a problem.

Bergen Regional Medical Center - Department of Patient Relations

(###) ###-####br />For patient information, please call(###) ###-####/em>

I think you deserve some answers here.If you are able you would be better off to take the POA and do a frontal assault here by going to the Dept. above and seeking answers about his condition, doctor and plan of treatment .etc.

This is important because he may have limited medicare days here and they may be using them up.You may well be looking at medicaid here unless hehas sufficient funds to pay for all of this.

Call here in the morning and see what you can find out or make a trip if that is possible.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.I will say a prayer here for all of your family.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You can file complaints here if you get no answers..

The Joint Commission

(###) ###-####/p>

New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services

(###) ###-####/p>

Corporate Compliance Hotline--this is their HQ if you have to go up the ladder..

(###) ###-####/p>
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you are going to try an in person visit to these guys here are directions..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Here is the complaint form for the state who regulates them..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you still wish to remain anonymous, please file your complaint by calling 1-***-***-****.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I will say here that this is a very highly rated facility here is that information..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to stay away here you can call or visit the place in person and get some answers.Make sure you have your POA here.They will need to see it.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Related Legal Questions