Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I am a retired civil servant employee with a federal

Customer Question

I am a retired civil servant employee with a federal government insurance plan with BlueCross/BlueShield. My question is when I turn 62 this month am I required to sign up with Medicare or Medicaid to keep my insurance premium from going up? I am a military disable veteran (30%) federal retired and on my family plan. It is not my desire to claim any financial benefit at this early age. It's that I don't want my health insurance premium to go up or have to pay a penalty. If I am not required to apply for anything now when would I be? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You may be confusing eligibility to apply for social security with eligibility to apply for Medicare. Most people are eligible to apply for Medicare when they turn 65. 65 is the target age for people in your situation.

You will have a 7 month window to timely apply for medicare. You can apply 3 months before you turn 65, the month you turn 65 and then the 3 months after you turn 65. If you do not apply during that window you must wait until the next years open enrollment.

Also if you apply late you will be subject to a life time increased premium penalty payment to Medicare. SO make sure you apply 3 months before you turn 65 to make sure you have plenty of time to meet the deadline.

As to Social Security, you may be eligible to apply for early social security as early as age 62. Generally, however, you are better off waiting until you reach full retirement age.

You can find detailed information on these issues here:

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/page2.php?topic=counselor&page=script&script_id=15

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying2.html

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was not if I was eligible for Medicare or Medicaid. My question was if I am required to apply for one of the two as I was told that I need to apply for one of the plans and elect either Part B or Part D to keep my federal health insurance plan from sky rocking.(premium going up) If so at what age? Also what plan?

Hello:

Thank you for the clarification and the opprotunity for me to explain further.

The direct answers to your questions are: The plan you will be electing is Part B. You will enroll in it at age 65 when you become eligible to do so.

These are benfits that you are entitled to, so do not hesitate to enroll. If you have health issues, then enrolling in PArt B is likely your be

Hello:

These are benfits that you are entitled to, so do not hesitate to enroll. If you have health issues, then enrolling in Part B is likely your better bet. Medicare Part B will cost you about $100.00 per month. But it will limit your premiums from BC/BS.

These links may help you with this:

http://federalnewsradio.com/federal-report/2014/04/medicare-part-b-the-1200-question/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/06/which-is-better-a-federal-retiree-plan-or-medicare-part-b/index.htm

I hope this additional information is useful to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** the best.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(please do not forget to rate me. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.)