LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My Barber who is quite old now would like to know if he

Customer Question

My Barber who is quite old now would like to know if he could name his Barber Shop after the TV Show Mayberry's Barber shop Floyd's without a legal problem?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your friend would not have any problem because of the name having been used on the TV series half a century ago, this is a possibility that unless your friend's name is ***** ***** he could have a problem given that it appears that another company in the US ---located in CO---has copyrighted and has a registered trademark for the name "Floyd's 99 Barbershop".

( http://www.floydsbarbershop.com/ )

That having been said, so long as your friend is not located in CO, and calls his shop only Floyd's, then there is little likelihood that he will run into any problems. In fact other barbers have used Floyd's with additional descriptive terms such as Floyd's City Barbershop and there has been no trouble.

So as long as he is not nearby another barbershop called Floyd's he would seem to be just fine.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug