How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33550
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I missed my hearing in contra costa cty in ca detainer. I

Customer Question

I missed my hearing in contra costa cty in ca for unlawful detainer. I called the court to notify them I couldn't make it in time due to transportation difficulties. A judgement was made in Plaintiff's favor. Can I request new hearing to set aside judgement? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Yes, you can file a Motion for a New Trial or a Motion to Set Aside Judgment or a Motion to Vacate Judgment. You want to be sure and explain the circumstances on why you missed the hearing and attach an affidavit to the motion so that it will be verified. After you file it and send it to the other side then you will want to wait a day or two and then request that it be set for a hearing.