How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served with a Summons two weeks ago. I am a Federally

Customer Question

I was served with a Summons two weeks ago. I am a Federally licensed aircraft mechanic and FAA certified aircraft inspector as well. I have been living in Charleston SC since January of 2012. We moved here from Tennessee at that time. Last July(2014) my name was forged in the maintenance logbooks of an aircraft during its annual maintenance inspection in Dickson Tennessee. That aircraft crashed after the inspection was completed and all four occupants were injured. And I am being sued as well as the mechanic who actually worked on the airplane for $3,000,000.00. I have proof from my current employer that I was working here in Charleston, SC throughout the entire month of July and I only took 6 days off that month. Not to mention whoever forged my name used the wrong license number.
My problem is that I don't have the $2,500.00 to hire an attorney to represent me which seems way too high since I can easily prove that I had nothing to do with this aircraft and have never met the owner, or have never even been to that airport or city. My question is, can I just answer the summons in writing to the court and the plaintiffs, and if it gets too complicated later, hire an attorney? I feel confident in my abilities to speak for myself and I will probably have proof from the FAA before trial that my name was forged as well as the person who used my name will have a violation served from the FAA to him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, you can represent yourself and respond to the complaint filed against you on your own. You just need to be sure that you get your answer filed within the time stated on the summons (usually 20-30 days) and respond to each and every paragraph of the complaint separately.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Most Tenn. courts do not have sample answers or answer forms, so you'll have to come up with this yourself, but you can usually find sample templates online to use as a go-by. Additionally, you may want to file a claim against the other person who forged your signature and seek indemnity and damages for the forgery.

If things get too complicated and you need a lawyer, then you can always hire one.