How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42847
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i put someone in jail or sue them

Customer Question

can i put someone in jail or sue them for slander
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You can sue here in California for monetary damages.It is not a crime but civil liability to the person who harmed you.

Here in California, a claim for defamation involves a false statement made by one person about another person, which causes harm to a person's property, business, profession or occupation. Defamatory statements are typically made using two methods:

(1) Slander: Making defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral representation; or
(2) Libel: Making defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

In a civil suit for damages you will have to prove:

1. A false and defamatory statement about another;
2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a 3rd party (not including the person defamed by the statement);
3. Damage to the person defamed.
Publication, in the context of defamation, does not mean it must be in print. Rather, it is considered published when it is made to a 3rd party.

Your lawyer here may send demand letter and then file suit if unresolved.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Lawyer referral , see if you can get one to take it contingent fee which means you do not pay until recovery..,-slander-and-defamation/california/find-law-firms-by-city/

Thanks again, good luck with recovery for all your harm.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

California law for reference..

You may well have been defamed here.This may effect your job or standing in the community, etc and be recoverable.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

The false statements about you beating up the child are actionable as defamation here--they are false statements made to third parties with intent to harm you.Consider a lawyer here in California to sue the person who defamed you.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

You can seek lawyer fees and costs as well as the damages.e had to go through this.These may be more than the $10k of small claims as you may have been harmed here in many ways.

Thanks and sorry you have had to go through this.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is sincerely ***** *****