How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do to correct the spelling of my first

Customer Question

What do I need to do to correct the spelling of my first name on my birth certificate. The legal spelling is Nancy but as a child growing up and learning to spell I was taught to spell my name as Nancey. Therefore, most of my records has my name as Nancey
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In order to change anything on your birth certificate, you will have to file a petition in court and ask the judge to enter an order correcting your birth'll also have to name the state department of public health as a party defendant to the action in order for the court to have jurisdiction to order it to change your certificate. The department likely will not object, but you have to name them as a party.

Once your petition is filed, the court can enter an order directing the department of public health to change the birth certificate, and once the department receives a certified copy of the order, it will make the change.

This is usually a fairly simple procedure in terms of being able to accomplish your goal.