How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want the divorce but we 't have kids with m. we married

Customer Question

hi i want the divorce but we don't have kids with him. we married for 4 yrs.he has a own house $ 300,000,$25,000 car.what i can get if i get the divorce.he work in the post office for 30 yrs also he is retired from the army.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

I need to know what state you will be filing for divorce ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. CT is an Equitable distribution state. That means the court will look at and evaluate how much each has contributed to the home. And if the home was his before the marriage and you never contributed monetarily to the home, and he never put your name on the Deed, then it is possible you would not be entitled to any of the property.

As to pension from the PO, the general rule is marriage has to be at least 10 years though there could be a settlement for 4 years worth of pension which he accumulated during the marriage.

If the car is your only mode of transportation, then you also may be able to buy him out on the car.

As to spousal support, that is going to depend on your skill and working history. If you have worked before or you are working, that will be considered, as well a court will look at a possible temporary spousal support until you can get a job and get on your feet.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Here is the CT law on the marital property distribution

Sec. 46b-81. (Formerly Sec. 46-51). Assignment of property and transfer of title. (a) At the time of entering a decree annulling or dissolving a marriage or for legal separation pursuant to a complaint under section 46b-45, the Superior Court may assign to either spouse all or any part of the estate of the other spouse. The court may pass title to real property to either party or to a third person or may order the sale of such real property, without any act by either spouse, when in the judgment of the court it is the proper mode to carry the decree into effect.

(b) A conveyance made pursuant to the decree shall vest title in the purchaser, and shall bind all persons entitled to life estates and remainder interests in the same manner as a sale ordered by the court pursuant to the provisions of section 52-500. When the decree is recorded on the land records in the town where the real property is situated, it shall effect the transfer of the title of such real property as if it were a deed of the party or parties.

(c) In fixing the nature and value of the property, if any, to be assigned, the court, after considering all the evidence presented by each party, shall consider the length of the marriage, the causes for the annulment, dissolution of the marriage or legal separation, the age, health, station, occupation, amount and sources of income, earning capacity, vocational skills, education, employability, estate, liabilities and needs of each of the parties and the opportunity of each for future acquisition of capital assets and income. The court shall also consider the contribution of each of the parties in the acquisition, preservation or appreciation in value of their respective estates.