LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My wife's insurance through her works no longer available.

Customer Question

My wife's insurance through her works no longer available. Her last day was July and I applied for Part B under the exemptions policy. I would like to add Part D. Can I qualify under my previous exemption or do I wait for Open E open enrollment?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under MediCare rules, you had just 2 months to enroll in Part D Medicare following the date that your wife left employment. If she left July 1, 2015, your chance to sign up for Part D---the special enrollment period---ended two months later.

While you missed the chance to enroll in Part D when you applied for Part B, you will have another chance in just about a month as Open Enrollment for Part D Medicare is between October 15–December 7 this year.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug