How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55605
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bid repairs from an LLC in Brandon, Florida. I paid

Customer Question

I have a bid for home repairs from an LLC in Brandon, Florida. I paid them the balance of the amount on Sept. 2nd. There was some items not complete. The original time estimate was between two-three weeks. It has been over four. Since then they do not come out when they say they will, they have been out about 6 hours since then and still have not completed the work. They do not call or return my calls except randomly. Do I have any legal recourse to either making them complete the work in a timely fashion or returning my money.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you absolutely have recourse. Since they won't respond to your phone calls, you want to raise the stakes on them. First, get an estimate from another repair company of the cost to complete the work. Then, send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and their default, and demand they pay you what it will cost you to have another company complete the work since you no longer have confidence in them. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud, gross negligence, and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!