How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34759
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son 3 months ago left s girlfriend with a 5 year old and

Customer Question

my son 3 months ago left his girlfriend with a 5 year old and she is due to deliver her second child 9/21/15. my son always handed her his paycheck of $650/week and lived there. however he always used his fathers address as his legal address and gets all his mail there. he would not allow mom to claim any of the $650 he gave her weekly so he could claim it at his dads address.
now he is only giving her $200 a week. She is weeks away from foreclosure on the house. Her electricity was almost shut off this past saturday. she gave up her internet when he left, has no credit cards, just a $700/mo mortgage, electric, phone and child care. her child care benefits were just cut because he said he was going to claim that he pays her $200/week now, for his 2015 tax return, so she went to dcfs and reported that. now she gets over $100 less in child-care services.
since we know how much he makes, can mom get child-support based on the $650/week he really gave her all along?
here is the catch: since moms salary was half of his, (because she could never claim the $650/week) she received child-care aid from dcfs the entire time he lived there. do you think she can get in some kind of trouble, or even be denied dcf child support services, due to the fact that she never told dcfs about the $650/week she was getting?
i am the paternal grandmother and do support her financially as much as i can. before i get her a lawyer, i need to know if the aid she received for child care will hurt her case in some way. i think it doesn't matter going forward, as we want to pursue a lawyer asap to establish child support based on his $650/week salary. he would not allow her to claim it.
i am lost. please let me know if we should go forward and hire a lawyer and if she will be in trouble for getting that child-care aid.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I want to make sure I understand, you want to retain an attorney to assist the mom?