Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Got married, trying to change my name with TSA PreChecked.

Customer Question
I've called their call center-...
Got married, trying to change my name with TSA PreChecked. I've called their call center- being told that they "pass my request to the government"- and in up to 6 months, someone will call me to fax them my marriage license, etc. Asked if I could just send it to them now- apparently I can't, have to wait for the "government" to call me. Really? I fly almost weekly, this is insane!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/14/2015
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

What number for the TSA did you call?

Did you call the Universal Enrollment Service center?

I called(###) ###-#### ***** 3 for PreCheck. Yes, the UES.

I have been PreCheck approved since early in the year- fingerprinted, etc. Heard back from them with my KTN in two days.

Hi there,

First, let me apologize for the lengthy delay. I did not receive any type of notification that you responded to my request for information. Coincidentally, I went through my questions and saw that you had responded. So I am very sorry for any inconvenience this might have cased you.

As to your questions, I want to tell you first that I have no way to control the timing of these changes. I do not work for the TSA or for the UES. I work with Just Answer - a third party information source - to provide you with an answer to your question. So when I provide an answer, please do not take an outcome that you did not want or expect out on me. I am just doing my job by being a messenger of information.

ANSWER: I contacted the TSA PreCheck service directly. According to the officer with whom I spoke, and her supervisor with whom she consulted, the process should take anywhere from 30 days to 3 months to complete. Obviously it would be much easier to go to an enrollment center to have the change made; however this is not an option, as the enrollment centers are for just that - enrollment.

I realize it sounds insane. It would seem that it is easy to just change a name. But because the TSA is responsible for the security and safety of travelers, changes in a record need some time to assure that they are legitimate. Moreover, with millions of people registered in the program, it takes some time to get through the process in the order the changes are received.

In the mean time, continue to use your current information until the change has been made and reflected in your traveler record. That should hold you over until the change is finalized.

Again, I'm really sorry for the delay in my response and the delays you will experience working through these changes with the TSA.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer