How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A student I'm working with has completed all DACA paperwork

Customer Question

A student I'm working with has completed all DACA paperwork and while at college accidentally filed a voter registration application online. He immediately followed up with an email and a voicemail explaining his error and his knowledge that he is not eligible to vote. Should he be concerned that this will be an obstacle to his eventual citizenship?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did this student signed the form and checked off that he was a US citizen and then submitted it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was done online and the "US Citizen box was pre-checked". Basically all students in his political science class were asked to complete the form & he didn't realize what he had submitted until right after the fact.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, not only it is a federal crime to falsely claim US citizenship, but it is also one of the several instances when someone who falsely claims US citizenship, is automatically becomes banned from ever obtaining US citizenship, so this is an issue that would need to be addressed by this student with an experienced local immigration attorney who will need to address the issue with the authorities where application was submitted and hopefully resolve it.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.