Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Mr.! In Texas, how do I impose a deposition on a non-party?

Customer Question
Hi Mr. B! In Texas...
Hi Mr. B! In Texas, how do I impose a deposition on a non-party? Chris
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/13/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

You will need to issue a subpoena for a third party (or non-party) deposition.

This article discusses this practice and the civil procedure rules involved: http://www.zelle.com/news-publications-266.html

And here is a sample subpoena (it is for Harris County, you will need a notice specific for your county, please note, it must be issued by the Court Clerk): http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/Common/Forms/pdf/CIVCP02_Witness_Deposition_Subpoena_Subpoena_Duces_Tecum.pdf

Thanks William ... that is very accurate and specific guidance. One follow up question ... if the non-party provides either oral or written responses, how can that information be introduced as evidence at trial?

Use of deposition transcripts at trial (in lieu of live testimony by the witness) is a strategy call, and you run a risk of compromising your testimony by relying on deposition transcripts in place of witness testimony.

However, Texas does permit deposition transcripts to be introduced at trial.

I would recommend reviewing this article: http://www.agtriallaw.com/papers/talkingheads.pdf which discusses strategy considerations and the rules associated with depositions (both taking, defending, and using them).

The information on trial practice begins on page 28.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney