How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I might have a possible dispute that may need resolution in

Customer Question

I might have a possible dispute that may need resolution in the court of law. I live in the state of North Carolina, but the business I might have a possible dispute with is located in Georgia. If the cases leads me to seek an attorney, which state would I seek legal counsel within; North Carolina or Georgia. I understand that lawyers are sometimes/ and sometimes not designated to their state of practice. Please contact me back with an answer to the best of your knowledge.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

It depends.

If your dispute regards conduct (breach of contract or tort) that occurred in North Carolina, you can retain a North Carolina attorney, and sue the GA Company in NC. (The NC Court will have personal jurisdiction over the company as their conduct occurred in that state).

However, if the dispute regards ***** ***** the state of GA, and the defendant is located in GA, you will want a Georgia licensed attorney. They do not necessarily have to live in GA (although as a practical matter, it makes good sense to hire an attorney that is local to the court where the action will be filed), but they do need to be licensed there.

You can find where attorneys are licensed using the state Bar Association directories:

North Carolina:


You can find civil litigation attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Related Legal Questions