How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118252
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Very often, noise from vehicles with custom exhaust systems

Customer Question

Very often, noise from vehicles with custom exhaust systems and stereos grow beyond a simple noise complaint. By far, the most typical response to a citation or warning issued to drivers vehicles with custom exhausts and stereos is a campaign of noise harassment. Most city and county governments share the problem of too few officers and too much territory. In most cases calls must be prioritized and noise complaints are given lowest priority. Often, real cases of retaliation for reporting a crime never see court. This is due to the need of testimony from a law enforcement officer. However, repeated noise complaints receive lowest priority - the probability of an officer witnessing events that add up to a retaliation case is extremely low. Retaliation cases continue with impunity for months and years. The question how do citizens build robust cases when law enforcement is not available. In these cases what evidence and documentation are needed? How do families and individuals subjected to daily harassment submit a viable case in the absence of law enforcement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that the only way to have a civil suit for nuisance is you have to identify the person who is violating the law. You can take video with sound of the area to seek to identify those who are violating the law and you can submit the video to local prosecutors to see if they choose to identify them and pursue them. Other than that, I am afraid that there is no other way to submit a viable case without law enforcement coming out and citing the individual violators.