How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116722
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How should I request an undersealed document (judgement)

Customer Question

How should I request an undersealed document (judgement) from 10 years ago and how should i write a proposed order and to who if the judge is not to be found ? Should I write to the court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have to file a "motion to unseal record" in the court where the case was sealed. In your motion you have to describe good cause reason for unsealing the record that is in the best interests of the public and will not cause extreme prejudice to the parites in the case. You would also have to explain that it has been sealed so long that the chances of harm to the parties is slim now because it has been so long since the judgment was entered and sealed.

It has to be a motion to the court, filed with the clerk of court's office and you would have to get a hearing after you send notice to all parties in the case of the motion.