Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Backstory: We have a roof that has some leaks in a 72 unit

Customer Question
Backstory: We have a roof that...
Backstory:
We have a roof that has some leaks in a 72 unit apartment building located in Florida. We have hired a roofer to repair parts of the roof by putting a liquid material down called "gacoflex s2000."
After seeing how easy it was and that he was charging so much money, we are considering hiring other people to do the work with the same material.
Question:
If we hire people that are not "licensed roofers" are we breaking any laws or requirements to get a permit if we hire workers to do the same work the roofer was doing?
My argument would be that this is extending the life of the existing roof by putting a protective layer of "gacoflex s2000" and not building or constructing a roof.
However, would this be considered something you need a permit OR licence to do in Miami, Florida?
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/11/2015
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

HERE IS The LINK so you can review the Florida law in this regard

Basically it says the owner of a property may do the work themselves or if they choose to hire a non licensed person they will need to sign a Disclosure Statement when applying for the permits. The Disclosure Statement is also in that law.
To qualify for exemption under this subsection, an owner must personally appear and sign the building permit application and must satisfy local permitting agency requirements, if any, proving that the owner has a complete understanding of the owner’s obligations under the law as specified in the disclosure statement in this section.

It also states, that when you hire a non licensed contractor, you risk not being able to get a judgment against them for incomplete or shabby or otherwise poor work.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Sam, Attorney at Law