LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I had a judgement against me in IN in 2009, recently they

Customer Question

I had a judgement against me in IN in 2009, recently they were able to get it filed in CO, which is my state. What happens with th statue of limitations and the clock for collection on that judgement
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

When an out of state judgment is domesticated in another state---where the debtor lives or has assets, that new state will issue a judgment based on the judgment from the other state.

The statute of limitations for the life of the judgment is based on state law, and so if the original judgment was in one state and the judgment was brought in and domesticated in CO, then the CO judgment issued by the court would be valid for 20 years---the same as a judgment issued in IN. And in both CO and IN, a judgment may be renewed for an additional 20 years.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so the statute of limitation in Colorado is 20 years?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

You asked: so the statute of limitation in Colorado is 20 years? Yes, it is. It is the same as Indiana.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i believe that foreign judgment was obtained improperly , how do i go about setting it aside or getting it deferred

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. These are new questions that you are asking about and do not relate to a statute of limitations issue. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread, or to accept an offer of additional services. I do sincerely ***** ***** any inconvenience this might cause you. I will process an offer to you for additional question and answer time.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posting are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them. Thank you for your understanding.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Please disregard this post. Thank you.