Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A very complicated reverse condemnation case is going before

Customer Question
the Florida 5th District Appellate...
A very complicated reverse condemnation case is going before the Florida 5th District Appellate Court for oral argument in late December 2015.
The Court clerk will not even hazard an educated guess as to how long it would take for a decision to be rendered. All she said was: it depends on how complex the case is. It could take from 30-60 days to more than 6 months.
I have heard appellate cases may take up to 2 yeas or more.
Can you give me a more specific idea of the Maximum time it might take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/11/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am afraid that there is no "deadline" for when the Judge or Jury can make a decision on a case after the trial.

Now assuming that the oral hearing is in December of 2015, a jury would normally take 1-3 days in a very complex case after trial is over. However, juries have taken weeks before in negotiations, and sometimes deadlock, forcing a new trial.

Judges can take weeks or months to make a decision. Normally, a complicated legal question can take at least 2-4 weeks after trial is over, but it depends on how busy the Court is and of course, the case.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. The decision can take days or even hours, sometimes.

So there is really no way to know, and it is impossible to hazard a guess beforehand (hence the clerk's very inability to answer).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Can you suggest what the maximum time might be? Are you aware of cases that have taken 2 years in the 5th or other district courts? I have heard of at least one that went over 2 years. Although, in that case, the reason for the delay was that file had apparently been misplaced

No, I am sorry, I cannot suggest a "maximum" date. There is no deadline. Technically speaking, a party can possibly file a Writ with the interlocutory court to compel the trial court to render a ruling, but this normally is done after a long time of waiting - perhaps a year or more.

I am not specifically aware of cases that have taken 2 years in said district, but with busy districts, this does not surprise me (i.e. misplaced file). However, this is an exception to the rule; most do not take this long.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law