How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in a situation were I am being coerced and

Customer Question

I am currently in a situation were I am being coerced and possibly drugged by my mother in attempt to have me make statements to medical professionals in order to gain SSI. This situation has been ongoing for several month and resulted
in illness, medical expenses and undue suffering.
The events began during the fall semester 2014 with a sudden onset of unexplained symptoms that I believe have been caused by some form of drugging. The symptoms included contact dermatitis, unusual elasticity in the skin, water retention, oily sweat from pours, pustules, and mania. These symptoms first occurred at my apartment, which forced me to return to my
mothers home, however only a day later the same symptoms began to occur whenever I used certain items around the house such as bedding, the sofa, chairs, ect. In several instances symptoms have occurred while eating certain food products in the house. These symptoms have continued to occur in these situations for the past 10 months. Most recently I even began having issues with the air conditioning system in the house and car she owns.
Attempts to confront my mother about these symptoms has resulted in constant denials that anything is wrong, demands that I seek counseling and go on SSI, followed by demands that I continue to do things that cause the onset of symptoms. I am currently financially dependent on my mother for support. I have no assets, no vehicle, and no access to public transportation. As such I am currently only able to live with my mother. Additionally she has made statements to the rest of my family attesting to my mental instability and none of them are willing to allow me to stay with them.
Currently she is demanding that I start scheduling appointments with mental health professionals and that I attempt to go on SSI. I have suggested numerous times that the medical history shows that the symptoms I'm dealing with are due to a physical cause and have requested numerous times that she have certain items in her home tested for any drugs that would be out of the ordinary. Instead she's now demanding that I begin seeing a counselor and making statements to them and investigating my ability to go on SSI or find a homeless shelter.
I am a recent graduate from college and have been attempting to find work, however this issue in combination with my lack of access to transportation, and any financial resources has placed me in a situation where I am compelled to give in to her demands or risk further physical and financial harm. Do I have a case for coercion under these circumstances?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Have the doctors been able to determine the cause of your medical symptoms? The reason I am asking is because what you describe is a criminal offense and the responsible party can go to prison if you are being poisoned.

As far as coercion, coercion for what?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me rephrase it differently. For a period of 10 months my mother has been systematically destroying my life and has been attempting to coerce me to go on SSI by using her resources to deny me my ability to seek gainful employment, while using a combination of threats and coercion to force me to make statements to a counselor. She's gone about this by isolating from the rest of my family by making constant claims that I'm seriously mentally ill, by preventing access to a vehicle and leaving me trapped in her home, by ensuring I have absolutely zero capital, denying to drive me to the few job interviews I have been given, and by threatening to place me into hospitals by making statements to a judge or into a homeless shelter if I don't agree to her terms.Currently I have no recourse, no money, no friends that I can rely on to stay with, and am on the verge of bankruptcy due to impending student loan repayments. Is there a way I can sue for emotional distress and get a court ordered injunction under these circumstances?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You would need to contact Adult Protective Services in order for them to investigate to get an injunction for the improper treatment if your mother is causing you this abuse. Until APS investigates and makes a determination, the court will not be able to issue an injunction in this type of situation. (See: The APS is not just for elderly, it is for those like you on SS as well, and they have to investigate what is going on before the court can issue an injunction and APS will also provide you legal representation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not currently on SSI, she wants me to go on SSI, though no doctor has suggested I need it, which is why she wants me to make statements to them.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If you are not disabled or on SSI, then you have to make the break from her. If you remain in her house under her control, no court can give you an injunction. If you move out and away from her, then you can get an injunction to keep her from interfering with your life and go on to live your life free from her control.