LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have used DIRECT TV 15 years. The account has been in my

Customer Question

I have used DIRECT TV for over 15 years. The account has been in my ex-husbands name. I wanted to change to a cheaper package because I can't afford the one now. I am told I can't make any changes since the account is not in my name. They would need to talk to him. I have no idea where he is & he wouldn't do this for me.
I told them that I am not responsible for payment on the account. They told me that is correct. Then they changed and put my name down as being able to pay the account bill but nothing else.
Can they do that?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you did not originally sign up for the account and you did not authorize them to place the account in your name, they have no legal right to bind you to the contract. You may cancel the account at any time and if they have a problem with that, they will have to look to your ex for a remedy---if they can find him.

While they may not want to open up a new account for you because you are defaulting on your ex-s contract, you can always change to DISH and they will be happy to have you and are less expensive anyway. I know because I recently compared both when I bought my new home last winter.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug