How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19141
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Until recently I have been. the representative payee

Customer Question

Until recently I have been. the representative payee for my disabled son, who for the past 20 plus yrs has resided in a HUD home and receives Medicaid. The state has now requested 6 months bank statements and receipts verifying how monies were distributed , and are threatening to discontinue his Medicaid which would severely affect his placement. Thist is a problem for me because over the past five years I have been divorced, moved three times and have had a stroke resulting in physical, visual, memory,confusion and financial challenges. The stroke has also resulted in what is known as stroke amnesia. I am doing the best I can but the request is an extreme problem coupled by the confusion of of the fact that DDD had request I open a new account for his SS money to be deposited in. I complied with their request, but do not know the number of the previous account
It should also be noted that I have transferred his SS check to the organization who provides his services because I was having difficulty managing g his money. I have devoted my life to my very special young man, but just as I voluntarily gave up driving as a result of my stroke and awareness I could no longer justify my ability to safely drive, I unhappily know that I am no longer qualified to manage my sons finances.
Please, can you help and/or advise me on how to proceed?
Humbly and Gratefully I thank You,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Amelia:

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I wish you better health.

If you know someone who is trustworthy and does not mind being the Representative Payee, then you can ask that person to go to the Social Security Office with you and apply to be his Representative Payee. In the meantime, you need to make appointment to go to Social Security Office and tell them about your medical issues and that you can no longer manage your son's money and that you do not want to be the cause that his benefits are cut off because you are unable to comply with requested accounting, that you have provided information to the best of your ability.

Below is the contact information of Social Security Administration:

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thnx so much for your response. I have been to the bank and was able to obtain some of the requested statements, but still have no expense records. Should I send them what I have or just take everything to SS office?Respectfully Yours,
Amelia Bleckman
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Amelia:

Do not send them. Take them to the Social Security office.

Kindly give a positive rating to my answer so that I can receive credit for answering your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation,