Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I took social security at 62 and at 59 had a heart

Customer Question
transplant, hoe long until I...
I took social security at 62 and at 59 had a heart transplant, hoe long until I am eligible until Medicare.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
9/9/2015
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me how old you are now and if you are collecting SSDI or instead collecting SS retirement? If SSDI, how long have you been receiving that?

I have been getting early social since March 2011, I am not collecting SSDI AT This time.
My birthday is *****
My health insurance split networks, blue cross and blue shield, the bad side for me is blue cross.

Hello again and thank you for the information. Since you are receiving what is known as old age or retirement SS payments you will not be eligible for Medicare until you are 65 years old. You will want to apply 3 months before turning 65 and can find more information about the program and enrollment by going to: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicare/apply.html#&a0=1

If you had been receiving SSDI, you would have been eligible for Medicare two years from the date you started receiving SSDI. So, for example, if you applied and were approved for SSDI back in 2011, you would have started receiving Medicare in 2013.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney