How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court date on Wednesday (9-09-15). I had surgery

Customer Question

I have a court date on Wednesday (9-09-15). I had surgery last Thursday to fix my hernia. What can I do if I am unable to make my court appearance if I can't drive two hours for court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Normal protocol would be to file a motion to continue the case with the court clerk and get an order re-setting the case for a date in the future. But, that's not practical here since your court date is tomorrow.

Instead, you will need to contact the court clerk first thing tomorrow morning, explain the situation and ask if the judge will give you a continuance........IF you do not get an affirmation that the case has been continued, you'll have to be there OR face being held in contempt OR being defaulted (depending on what the court hearing is for/about).