How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27703
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cashed a social security check made out to me then told

Customer Question

i cashed a social security check made out to me then told ssa i never got the check and some one else cashed it and forged my name and i signed a statement in the ssa office .what can i do to stop this action .the tresure dept is investagating this matter
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

There's nothing you can do to stop the investigation except to confess to it. And if you do that you will face arrest for fraud and forgery. Then your confession can be used to convict you. I suggest that doing that is not in your best interest.

You have a right to remain silent, and when you know you're being investigated, your best course is to exercise that right and to not discuss what you did with your check to anyone other than the lawyer you may have to hire. If you keep silent, maybe the investigation will be inconclusive and will not result in an arrest. Maybe, on the other hand, you'll face an arrest for fraud and forgery. But either way, by exercising your fundamental right against self-incrimination, you will not have given any evidence that will help the government convict you of the charges.

As the Treasury is investigating, this is likely going to be a Federal offense. The Feds conduct a very thorough investigation and generally take their time doing it. So now is a very good time to arrange some consultations with a few local Federal criminal lawyers so that you will have one if one is needed and he will already be up to speed on your case. You wouldn't have to retain him now because there is nothing for him to do, but at least you'd have his name and phone number near at hand if the worst case scenario transpires.